NEW ENGLAND JOURNAL OF

V E X I L L O L O G Y

Online Edition


Augusta City Flag

CITY FLAG and SEAL of
AUGUSTA, MAINE

by Robert Lloyd Wheelock

Augusta's city flag was adopted by the City Council on 20 February 1961, as the result of a contest in the elementary school system. The order of the City Council establishing it reads as follows:

"ORDERED, That the official flag of the city of Augusta be a rectangular blue and green flag with the name of the city, the date 1754, and the city seal in the center thereof. "1

It is flown at City Center on the east side of the Kennebec River, the Municipal Wharf behind Water Street on the west side, and at the Augusta Civic Center on Community Drive. Indoors, it can be found in the City Council Chambers.

The flag is diagonally-divided from lower hoist to upper fly, the upper triangle being blue, while the bottom triangle is bright green; the flag has 2:3 proportions. A white disk is centered thereon. The central (inner) portion of the city seal is shown inside, detailed in red. White lettering surrounds the disk: CITY · OF · AUGUSTA (above), and the date 1754 (below). The flag is fringed in gold when used indoors.

Augusta City Seal

The seal shows a non-existant riverbank scene: in the foreground is the east side of the Kennebec River where Fort Western (built in 1754) is located. The storehouse (S. and W. Howard's), along with the southwest blockhouse are shown, with a section of the fort's picket fence having its gate door opened. A colonial guard donning an era uniform stands on guard with his musket ready. The State House dome, located on the west side of the Kennebec, stands behind the fort scene, with clouds behind and trees in between the dome and the fort. The State House was built in 1829 and opened in 1832. The Kennebec River's east bank is shown with a canoe paddled by an Abenaki warrior, recalling the French and Indian (or Colonial) Wars that necessitated the building of Fort Western.

The storehouse of Fort Western built in 1754 still stands; the blockhouses, watchboxes and the fort's fence have been rebuilt and today the facility is a museum run by the City. The new City Hall has been constructed just behind the fort.

The outer rim of the seal has native Abenaki flintheads on the sides and lettering (usually in black) inside the rim, in-between the flintheads: CITY OF AUGUSTA (above), and ESTABLISHED 1754 (below). The seal was designed by Carroll W. Black.2

The city seal may be shown in silver/black, gold/black, or multicolored on printed/embossed materials, and it also appears in red/white or forest green/white on municipal vehicles; however, only the inner disk portion of the seal appears on the current city flag in red/white.

Augusta is celebrating its 200th (bicentennial) birthday this year; it was granted its City Charter in 1797.


1 Letter to the Flag Research Center from Sylvio J. Gilbert, Mayor, 6 March 1963.

2 Kennebec Journal, 10 June 1997, page 5.



[NEVA]
To the NEVA home page.

To the New England Journal of Vexillology page.



© 1997 NEVA - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED